Saturday, June 28, 2008

My son is a soap addict

No, not soap operas (thank goodness)—liquid soap that abounds in every household. He especially loves to rub it in his hair, and does this at every house we visit. We have tried lots of things to get him to stop: stern talking-to, time outs, putting the soap up high (this never works because one of us eventually leaves it down after washing our hands), and I even let him do his own hair in the bath so he will have some satisfaction.

Kevin actually puts a lot of different things in his hair besides soap. He rubs lotion in all the time. He has also put diaper rash cream, shampoo and conditioner (while NOT in the bath), and once Elmer’s glue. After the glue, John and I both talked to him very seriously, saying “You never put ANYthing in your hair unless you’re in the bath! NOTHING!!” That was about a month ago, and he has been really good since then, even leaving the soap alone.

Until yesterday.

He was supposed to be taking a nap, when Garrett and I heard a THUMP and then he was crying. Garrett said, “He must have fallen out of bed!” and we rushed upstairs. But no, his bedroom door was open—he wasn’t in there. Another thump and more crying. . .from the bathroom? He usually is really good and doesn’t come out of his room after I put him to bed, so this was surprising. I opened the bathroom door and he was right behind it, slipping and sliding and falling with several more thumps as I opened the door. Why was he slipping and falling? You guessed it: soap all over the floor. An entire dispenser full of liquid soap that morning was now empty and all over the floor. No wait, it was also all over the counters, coated on some bath toys, and finger painted on the wall. I stood there in shock for a second, then said “Kevin, why did you do that??” He was still crying and tried to compose himself enough to say “I didn’t put in my hair!” I started laughing. At least he had enough self control to leave it out of his hair. I tried to be serious again, “But you put it all over the sinks, and the floor, and the toys, and the wall.” He was pretty calm by now. “And the door, Mom.” I looked at the door. Finger painted with soap as well. I *almost* wish it had been something colored so I could take a picture, because it would have been spectacular.

Well, my bathroom is cleaner than it has been in awhile. Smells good too--like soap.

9 comments:

Jessica Engh said...

Oh my, funny stuff! I'm laughing just thinking about him trying to stand up in all the soap. Poor thing!

At least he didn't put CHAPSTICK in his hair, so it could smell good! Only to find out chapstick doesn't come out so easily even after thorough washing.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I am totally laughing. My nephews once did this same thing with a Costco-sized vat of vegetable oil in my mother-in-law's kitchen once. I love kids.

Carolyn said...

That is classic! It sounds like something I would find my kids doing.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oh Lajuanna, that is hilarious! I remember doing that exact same thing with butter in the kitchen when my parents were taking a Sunday nap. I was ice skating and it was awesome!

David said...

Well, I guess you won't have to clean the bathroom for a while! That's a great addiction to tell people about! I'm glad he has grown out of the hair thing... as I'm sure that any more chemicals would have left him with a lifetime of baldness! We love your blog, and are glad to see that you are doing so well!

The Paske Family said...

Hee Hee....I am still cracking up! It's good to document all the great stories. I do't have any that good.....yet! You asked about the 4th in one of your comments. We usually hang out at the cottage but of course it flooded. I am leaving this Sat for Utah. After I am back I want to come see you in Chi town. do you guys have any trips planned or busy times to work around? Email me at paske.family@gmail.com.

The Cooks said...

That was great I really miss your kids stories so thanks for taking the time to write it here. I love the, "it's not in my hair" part what a smart kid.

Sarah H said...

I finally found your blog and I'm so glad. I love the little intro you wrote about you and John. You guys will change the world and raise great kids!
I was laughing out loud reading this entry. Kevin is such a cute trouble maker. James and Nathan have dumped two full bottles of baby shampoo in the bath tub in the past few weeks. They are very clean after that. It's not terribly messy since it's in the tub but it just annoys me that they wasted full things of soap.
It was great to see you guys today!

I have a good life said...

That is so funny! I love it! He was so good about not putting it in his hair! :) That is awesome!