Thursday, November 20, 2008

School money blues

I am so annoyed at the school. Does this happen to anyone else? Do they send home notes that say "We're making you a special present. Please send $6, and don't ask your child about it, it's a secret!" Now, I don't mind special secret presents. But I DO mind if you make me fork over money for it. I would be just as happy with something a LOT cheaper (i.e. in the school's budget). Especially when I just paid $12 for Garrett's field trip and $4 for Hannah's, and $6 for the social studies magazine subscription, and $6 each for them to join the lunchtime book club (book NOT included) and on and on and on. Now, I was a teacher, and I know how difficult it is to make choices for your students with a limited budget. But hello people! That's what a budget is for! If your budget can't afford it, think of something else to do rather than pass on the cost to the parents. I know a lot of teachers use their own money for school supplies and rewards, etc. but I also know that is NOT the case here. They solicit parent donations of toys, treats, stickers, etc. for rewards, and they solicit us whenever they need more school supplies, and solicit us to buy more books for their classroom.

**SIDE NOTE: We also have to pay a REGISTRATION FEE to the school district every year for our public school! It's $80 per child. I'm not going to go into details right now, but rest assured I fought that all the way to the Illinois Board of Education who told me if I don't pay, then (though they can't refuse to educate my child) the school district can take me to small claims court or put it into a collections agencey. When I asked what the money is used for the answer I got was "Why, to educate your child!" Um, what is our $10,000/year taxes used for then?**SIDE NOTE ENDED

I'm not a big gift giver either (not one of my love languages--I'm a quality time and acts of service woman). I tried ignoring the note, thinking to myself "I'm not paying for a present for myself that I don't agree with on principle." I even ignored the second reminder note with the due date (a week earlier) circled in red. AND the third note with the cost highlighted and the now 2-week-past deadline underlined TWICE. I toyed with continuing my passive-agressive stance and refusing to pay. But my sweet 6 year old, who had spent the weekend in the hospital, her I couldn't ignore when she said, "Mom, we're the LAST ones who haven't turned in our money. Should I just get it out of my piggy bank? Do I have $6 in there?" Then I felt bad. Though I shouldn't have to pay for a gift I didn't ask for, SHE shouldn't have to pay the school for it either. And they definitely should not be making her feel bad because she's the only one who hasn't paid.

I sent in my check today. It better be special.

7 comments:

The Davies Family said...

I totally agree! What is with all the crazy high property taxes when all they do ALL year long is hit you up for more money! Yeah right to educate my kids..it goes to their salary I swear..teachers here get paid bucks! Which I am not opposed to, but come on, I am awfully tired of shelling out little bits here and there for my child's education..whatever happened to free public education?

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Hm . . . have to think about his one. I have no idea what el. school budgets are like. The only money I'd ask for as a secondary teacher was a supplies list sent home the first week of school, but I didn't request anything unusual (binder, spiral, pen, pencil, etc.) Still, I got really chewed out by a few parents for requiring said supplies though what they amounted to was maybe $7. Without "requiring" it though (I did a supplies check worth like 10 points), how can I be sure the kids will bring the stuff? If the kids all have mostly the same supplies it makes instruction a lot more consistent--vital with the over 200 students I had at a time in Logan.

There is always homeschool . . . .

denedu said...

I have never heard of such things. So far Jerdon's teachers have only asked for snack food for their classes, and during holidays or teacher appreciation week they usually just asked for the kids to donate a gently used book or one that you could buy at the book fair which would be put in the classroom library. Every year we get the list that Nan spoke of, but that is usually the bulk of it. I find it quite odd that they have a registration fee. It's a bit strange to me that in the four schools that Jerdon has been in (CA and UT) none have asked for such a thing...nor have they demanded payment for things not required. I'd be peeved too. :)

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

No way! That is quite a lot of Moo-lah to be asked to spend when your taxes pay a high portion. Are you kids in private school or something, I mean c'mon! I'd freak if that happened here.

kanaboke said...

I have no words...I seriously have No Words...that is just super crazy! I don't know how you do it Lajuana.

Amy said...

I TOTALLY agree with Danelle on this one. I think it's really rude for them to ask for money for a gift to make for YOU! What happened to homemade cards or homemade anything? During the time I was sick with this pregnancy, they sent home the supplies list and I forgot to ask Aaron to buy the stuff and when I was feeling better, I went in to apologize to the teacher and she insisted it wasn't a big deal at all! And I went in on my own free will, nobody was sending me notes telling me to send supplies! That is just WEIRD.

Sarah H said...

gotta love our town. It's a bit hoity toity sometimes, don't you think?