Friday, May 8, 2009

In which my son teaches me

It really is wonderful what your kids can teach you. As mine have been getting “older” I have learned even more from them, about them, and about myself.

For my non-LDS friends, I would like to explain a little bit about testimony meeting. One Sunday a month, our church meeting gives 30 – 40 minutes to any members of the congregation that would like to come to the front and speak to the congregation. This is a time to share testimony of Jesus Christ, what you have learned, and uplifting experiences. It is a great way to share your faith; and as you share, you are strengthened, and those who are listening are strengthened as well. That being said, it is also a little nerve-wracking to have everyone listening to you. I personally do not go up very often, probably less than once a year. John does a little more often, maybe 3 times a year. Some people always have something to say and go up every month. Even children are encouraged to give their testimony if they feel inclined.

A few weeks ago, Garrett asked me during the hymn if he could go give his testimony when it was time. I was surprised, but of course said “Sure!” He was positively squirming in his seat waiting for the time to arrive. I started to get a little worried. What was he going to say? He’s so shy. . .would he get nervous and freeze up? I leaned over and asked him what he was going to talk about. “Prayer,” he whispered back succinctly. OK. I trusted him to speak from the heart and stay on topic (during our family night at home, we take turns giving a lesson and whoever is doing it is encouraged to give their testimony at the end. Garrett has gotten really “good” at this lately, often bringing in his own experiences and tying it in with the lesson).

The time arrived and Garrett bounced out of his seat and started up to the front. At the same time, an adult started walking up too and Garrett was confused about what to do (usually just head up to the front and take a seat to wait your turn) so he came back and sat down. When the adult finished, again Garrett bounced out of his seat to head up to the front. He was so eager, I couldn’t believe it. I raised my eyebrows at John, who WAS this boy?

He got to the microphone and began eagerly, “I’d like to bear my testimony that prayer is really important and it works.” Suddenly he was overcome with emotion and nervousness and started to cry. He hid his face in his hands but stayed there. I jumped up and went to join him. He turned his face into me and I told him he was doing a great job. Was there anything else he wanted to say? He nodded and tried to quickly compose himself. “I was having a really hard time in Math and it made me feel so bad. So I prayed for help and I worked really hard and now I can do it. Prayer really works.” This was all said in a tearful voice while I had my arm around him. As I looked out to all our friends, I saw that many of them had tears in their eyes. He closed in the name of Jesus Christ and went to sit down. I briefly bore my testimony as well and sat down. Several people who spoke referred to his testimony, and many personally spoke to him after the meeting saying how great he did. He took this all in his usual shy way, and he seemed embarrassed by all the attention. I think he wished that everyone would promptly forget it all and leave him alone. I asked him later if he was embarrassed, but he said no. I told him how proud we were of him and hoped that he would share his testimony often. I really hope this won’t put him off of sharing in the future. John and I want to be encouraging but not pushy at all. You can’t force faith, after all.

Hopefully, whatever problems we face, whether they are math problems or health problems, financial problems, or anything else, we can all turn to the Lord in prayer and work really hard, and then we can get through it.

9 comments:

Marie said...

Thanks so much for sharing this story. I liked the idea that you have your children share their testimony after family home evening. I think I am going to start trying that.

chicagosapps said...

I forgot to mention, lest any of you think Garrett is a perfect boy, that he has not changed at all since this event. He still pesters Hannah until she is in tears several times a day. He also deliberately antagonizes Kevin to his screaming point (though it doesn't really take much) at least 3 times per hour. He plays "tricks" on people, which is his label for when he lies ("Hannah, Mom bought you a present--it's up in your room!" when of course there is no such present and there is sometimes even something mean like a sign that says Hannah is a BOY).

Erin said...

We had a similar experience with Easton only he began to giggle which is what Dad does when he is very nervous...I get a combo of tears and giggles. What a brave thing he did and what a simple and pure testimony. Thanks for sharing this story! We love you guys!

Pulcheria said...

What a simple and beautiful testimony. Such a sweet story.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Lovely.

I also really like your new look: where did you get your template?

Sarah H said...

What a sweet story. I think Garret is such a good kid. And you guys are great parents! I wish I could have been in the ward listening to his testimony. I miss the ward. Glad we're still in touch! HOpefully I'll see you again soon.

Carolyn said...

What a great example. Ah, for times like that when you can feel so happy for your child's behavior. (I loved your follow up and the sign about Hannah-classic).

Andrea said...

That's wonderful! I know I've shared a prayer story you told me about Garrett with my kids. I just love those quiet moments when you can see that they are learning and growing spiritually. Thanks for sharing!

The Dummfamily said...

He must have great parents who taught him to pray. It was great to look at your blog and catch up on your family. You better let us know when you will be in the state this summer. I hope your parents continue to hang in there. They are great people, even if your dad used to scare me!