Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Here we go again!

We’re expecting again! This time, I feel more confidence in announcing it since I heard the heartbeat yesterday, and morning sickness is really kicking my rear. I don’t know if you all know this, but I am OLD. 37. And feeling every long year of it. I can’t count how many times I’ve been laying on my bed (or the couch, or the back of the van, or the floor) moaning and wondering what the heck we were thinking. Can I handle this?

This is my first pregnancy that I truly have “morning” sickness (all the others I had “evening” sickness the worst). I fight back the nausea all morning and constantly am ready to race to the toilet. The morning used to be my time to run errands, get things done like laundry and cleaning. Now it is my time to eat a little and lie down a lot. This baby does not like meat. Or sweets. But loves citrus (I’ve never been a huge fan, but now I’m sucking down grapefruits like a fiend) and sugar snap peas. John is so happy that this baby might turn out to be a vegetarian like him. I haven’t found anything that I like to eat in the morning yet. I’ve tried cereal, oatmeal, eggs, toast, nothing is good. Grapefruit is the best thing to have, but obviously does not fill my constantly starving stomach. Any ideas?

Here are a few pictures of some fun things we’ve done over the last month or so. First is when John and I went downtown Chicago for the jazz festival on our anniversary. It was a lot of fun but there were plenty of times I smelled sweet smoke if you know what I mean.


My niece Ashleigh is on the BYU soccer team and they had a game at Northwestern so we went and the kids had a blast cheering and they felt famous when they got to go on the field with a player. Ashleigh also sneaked them onto the team bus when they went out to eat after the game. The kids were in heaven.


We went on an architectural boat tour of downtown Chicago on a beautiful September afternoon. It was TOTALLY worth the $17 per person. So fun. Here is Denise with Hannah and Kevin.


We went to the Shedd Aquarium, which was NOT worth the $25 per person, but still a pretty fun way to spend the morning. Kevin refused to get in this picture because by the end of our time there, he was so cranky and contrary he only wanted to go home.

13 comments:

Hillori said...

Congratulations! Oh...please don't say that 37 is old... and have you tried fruit smoothies?

Karin said...

Hooray! You're not really old. 37 is *not* old. Maybe not 20, but *not* old. ;-) Have you tried some protein with your grapefruit? nuts? tofu? beans? teff also has a really high protein count. TVP? I don't know if any of those sound palatable, just trying to offer suggestions. :-) We love you guys!

The Dummfamily said...

Congratulations! May you find something that makes your tummy happy. Your kids look so old. You do not!!!

Pulcheria said...

Hooray (about the pregnancy) and YUCK (about the sickness). I have COMPLETE empathy for you. I did find that a little dry cereal about 15 minutes before I got out of bed helped a little, then I ate again - more cereal worked for me. Nothing heavy or sweet. And I know what you mean about grapefruit! You are not that old and you can do this! Your kids are smart and beautiful - it will all be worth it (even if it doesn't always feel like that now =)).

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Best of luck, brave lady.

I always thought cottage cheese in the morning was the best.

Miles and Bex said...

Yeah!!! We are so excited for you. Hopefully you will find something that helps your tummy in the morning. THe only thing I could have was a cold can of Mt.Dew. I know...I am a bad mom but it is what got me going in the morning. Hopefully it will get better soon.

Carolyn said...

Yay! Congrats! Good luck with the morning sickness. I did what Jan did and that worked for me. I also ate any time I woke up in the middle of the night. Even if it was just a few bites, it helped my morning to be a little less yucky.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh poor you Lajuana!!!!! I hate morning sickness and your description brings a flood of nightmares back! I hope it gets better for you! Congrats!

Erin said...

Hooray! I hope the morning sickness subsides in a hurry! I found that sucking on things like jolly ranchers would help calm my stomach so I could eat by about 10 am.

Unknown said...

I'm so happy for you! So fun to see you last week.
I love all the pictures of what you guys have been doing in the city!
Sarah

Steven and Kristi Bernards said...

Lajuana-congrats on your pregnancy. I'll bet you didn't know I still check in on your blog from time to time. We are also at www.bernards5.blogspot.com
All I know that helps the woes of pregnancy is complaining. I do it well!

Carlyna said...

Congratulations!
Grapefruit was my friend too with my first pregnancy, I couldn't get enough of it. And for a while there I did NOT like sweets, crazy! I hope as time passes (and quickly) that you are able to find some other things to eat. Again, congratulations!

I have a good life said...

Congratulations my dear friend...who is not very old! :)

Wowzers, your kids are soooooooo big. Does it date me to say that I remember when Garrett was born??? Ay, ay, ay. Where did the decade go?

We were such great friends a decade ago...K was so little and G was just waiting to be born. -sigh-

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Life is hard, but isn't it for everyone? Just different challenges and this one has hurt to the core.

Love ya...good luck with the morning sickness.