Friday, April 25, 2008

Shiny happy people

Most of you have not seen Kevin for about a year or longer, and that was when he was still the strong, silent type. He now talks a lot, and he is so funny. We are constantly laughing at what he comes up with. We read from the Book of Mormon every night, everybody just reads one verse. When it's Kevin's turn, I usually say a few words and he repeats the last word I said. For example:
Me: And it came to pass. . .(pause)
Kevin: Pass.
etc.

Several weeks ago, for some reason, he started to say "shiny" in front of everything.
Me: And it came to pass. . .
Kevin: Shiny pass.
Much laughter from the other children (and me).
After we settle down a little. . .Me: that Alma. . .
Kevin: Shiny Elmo (he can't say Alma, and this leads to even more laughter, this is usually when John breaks down and starts laughing too).

We're not really sure why he started this, though it might be because John bought a "new" car and Kevin started off by calling it Dad's shiny new car. Maybe he thinks everything should be shiny and new. So. . .we tried kind of ignoring it for a long time, but the kids of course would still bust up laughing, sometimes John and I too. Finally we decided to crack down on it. Now this is the usual result:

Me: And Alma said unto the people
K: shiny people (this almost breaks me as I think of the song, but I am strong and don't laugh)
Me: Just people
K: What kind of people?
Me: Just say people.
K: What kind of people?
Me: Just regular people.
K: Really people?
Me: Yes. . . "people of the city"
K: Shiny city
Me: Just city.
K: Shiny city
Me: Just say city.
K: What kind of city?
Me: *reaching the end of my rope and about to burst out laughing* Just a regular city.
K: Really city? Or shiny city?

By this time usually John is snickering quietly behind his hand, and the kids are of course giggling, and how can I hold it together with all that? So we all laugh and then just continue letting him say shiny before everything. I guess we'll just let him say it and ignore him again. I don't really care that he says it, it makes scripture time more interesting because we all wonder what will be shiny today.

9 comments:

The Davies Family said...

That is hilarious! I love the dialogue..'shiny city?' 'no regular city.' Kids are so funny! They come up with the funniest things

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness! I am rolling on the ground. That is amazingly funny. Thanks for the laugh!

Pulcheria said...

That is a GREAT story - it had me laughing out loud. Give your shiny kid a hug from me!

I have a good life said...

How cute is that! So glad it is documented so you'll remember forever! :)

kanaboke said...

OMG, I can't even believe Kevin is talking already, let alone, talking about the "shiny"-ness of the Book of Mormon characters and cities! you go Kevin..at least your parents are doing a great job of familiarizing you with one of the greatest records ever recorded!!

The Cooks said...

That was great I really miss you telling stories so this really took me back and I read it out loud to Steve and we were both cracking up. Thanks for sharing.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Ohhhh man, that kills me!! He is a stinker! You never knew a little stinker was behind that "strong silent" little guy! You guys are hilarious!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I love it. AJ asks about a zillion questions while we read the scriptures and he is always asking where stuff is. Before age 2, Cael would repeat whatever Ammon said, but it came out all wrong. Our running joke for six months when we sat down to read the scriptures was "Where's Ammon-nee-hah?" When he prays, Cael will still sometimes say, "Thankful for Ammon-nee-hah. . . "

Carolyn said...

That is so cute. I love it!