Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Spring time is here!




Spring time brings about many wonderful changes. After the horrid winter, this spring is nothing less than a miracle! Last fall we planted some bulbs in the hope that spring would come again and this time with flowers. Another fear we had is the bunnies! I did not know this but the Chicagoland area is plagued with a huge overpopulation of wild bunny rabbits. Last year we found a family living under our wood deck. They are everywhere! The eat flowers and young bushes, and as we found out last year... our blackberries, strawberries, and pretty much any new or budding flower.

This year we had a plan of attack against the bunnies, chicken wire! We fenced off the garden and put a fence underground so they would not eat the bulbs we planted. A few weeks ago the tulips started to come up and the bunnies kept eating them down to the ground. We have heard all of the advice possible, including putting human hair on the ground. Eventually the bunnies got full, I can only imagine, and left our flowers alone and they came up in power.



To top off the flower burst is our flowering trees! Our two front trees are a wonderful pink and our side tree is white! The smells are powerful and so sweet! Our house is not the only, the whole city and area is just popping colors and flowering smells. The only thing close to this is when we lived in Oregon and the spring was just awesome too. To say the least I'm very surprised at how nice it is here and how spring just makes everything new again!

To add to the spring time fun we had two visitors come by on Saturday morning. The kids loved watching them for a long time. A boy and a girl duck. They ended up walking off to some other houses and then most likely to one of the two nearby ponds in our development. I hope you guys all have a wonderful spring and take time to smell the flowers!!!

6 comments:

chicagosapps said...

By the way, John wrote this. He did lots of work in the yard last Fall so that it looks so beautiful this Spring. It does remind me a lot of Oregon, but I miss our huge garden plot we had there. But John is enlarging our tiny plot because he wants to try to grow corn this year.

Just to put in my two cents, I loved Spring in UT too. I loved walking the kids to Joy school when the weather was nice and we'd see all the flowers along the way.

--Lajuana

Pulcheria said...

The bunny plague is in St. Louis too! We haven't tried planting anything, we just enjoy watching the catsstalk the bunnies through our windows, not knowing I'd never let them catch one! Adn I couldn't agree more about the flowering trees - they are so beautiful!

I have a good life said...

I love spring! Your house there is GORGEOUS! As you remember, I am sure, in Texas...we passed spring a long time ago...it is now summer, except for the severe storms: those are super spring-like.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Savanna would be in heaven if there were ducks and bunnies roaming through our yard! We might have to break the "no pets" rule even, hehe. I saw buds on trees yesterday, I think spring is coming...but I'm sure it'll snow soon.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

There is nothing better than springtime to reaffirm faith in all things.

kanaboke said...

ooooo, I love that the ducks came for a visit! How fun! And great, great, grrreat shots of your Tulips!